Saturday, December 21, 2013

Best Present Ever


    It has been 50 years since I got the best Christmas present ever.
     I met CW2 Sam Spencer in 1971 while I was on a mission trip.  He was just fresh out of flight school, and on 30 days of leave before going to Vietnam for his second time -- this time as a Cobra helicopter pilot.  I had graduated from West Virginia University in 1970 and finished my first year of teaching school when I went to Richwood with some other young professionals and students for a mission trip.  That's where I met this good-looking soldier.  We spent a lot of time together that week, and he asked me to write to him in Vietnam.  So our relationship continued by mail-- long delays because there were no cell phones or Internet. When he got back to Fort Bragg next summer, we started talking on the phone and seeing each other about every three weeks when he came to see me for a day, then I starting meeting him at his parents's house in Richwood.
We had a good time together -- but had never once discussed marriage.
     Then in October 1973, there was a war in Israel, and Sam was on alert to go there.  He told his dad that when it was over, he was going to ask me to marry him.  But I did not have a clue. So, he had a ring in his pocket when he came to see me that 1973 Christmas.  I remember that we were wrapping packages  and he was putting a tag on one for my mother. He said, "Should I write "mom" or "Theda" on it?" I just looked at him -- didn't get the hint-- and he said,  "I will write "mom" next year." I laughing asked if he thought he would be around next year, and we continued to wrap packages.
       Later that evening, he just said, out of the blue and on a knee -- "Will you marry me?" I was totally speechless--my mind was racing-- can I fit in to Army life? Can I make a forever decision this fast? But then he pulled out that glorious diamond ring and said, "you haven't said YES yet." There was no other answer YES, YES, YES!
        He didn't want me to wear it until he got to ask my dad,  but I think Mother suspected the next morning when I had such a permanent grin on my face.  She questioned my happiness so early in the morning, and I gave an evasive answer, but there were tears in her eyes so I think she knew.
         There's  more to the story, but I have cookies and fudge to make. So I will just say it continues happily ever after, and that ring is still the best present I ever got-- because along with it came the best husband ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment

These remembrances are meant to be a reminder of "The most wonderful time of the year." Please feel free to add your version if you were there!