Friday, January 3, 2014

Desert Storm Christmas

  In the summer of 1990,  we were living in Fayetteville, NC.  Sam was flying helicopters at Ft. Bragg and Andrew was just a year old.  Sam got orders to go to the Advanced Course school in Alabama. He was gone for about 3 months, and while he was gone, his unit was sent to Saudi Arabia for Operation Desert Storm.  He finally came home in October, but it was a short stay.  Less than 3 weeks later,  I tearfully said goodbye again as he left to join his unit in the desert.  Before cells phones and iPhones, before Internet and Skype, there were letters.  Sam waited in line for 2 hours to call me soon after he arrived in country, but then I waited--and waited for the mail.  I waited over 3 weeks for the first letter, and there were no more phone calls.  When it was time for Christmas, I found it hard to get very excited about decorating.  I just couldn't put the whole tree up, so we had kind of a Charlie Brown tree that year.  Someone made bread dough ornaments shaped like soldiers in desert fatigues, so I remember putting the ornament we called "Daddy" on the little tree.  Hallmark put out an American flag ornament that year, too, so I bought one of those to put on the tree.


   A few days before Christmas, the kids and I drove to West Virginia to spend Christmas with my parents. We had our traditional Christmas Eve party, with lots of family and  food, but I just felt so lonely without my soldier.  But then the phone rang and it was Sam! He knew I would be with my family and he stood in line for a long time to make  that short call. That was the best gift ever-- and it lifted my spirits so much!
    The war started in February and letter were even scarcer then.  It was a very difficult winter, and my family, my church, and the other officers wives helped us face the uncertainly and loneliness of those days.  But finally it was over, and the long winter ended.  When I saw my husband's big smile, and felt his strong arms around me -- well, it was like Christmas was finally here!




3 comments:

These remembrances are meant to be a reminder of "The most wonderful time of the year." Please feel free to add your version if you were there!