Sunday, December 11, 2011

1960 -- age 12

From my diary:
"Oh, what a wonderful Christmas! This year I got a transistor radio from Uncle Wayne, a game of Life from Sonny, a doll, pins from Mike, a doll from Steve, an umbrella, a stuffed monkey, bedroom slippers, Jon Gnagy "Learn to Draw"kit, an autograph hound from Aunt Ina, a billfold from Memaw and Grandad, 4 Louisa May Alcott books, a 2 dollar bill from Grandmother Lewis, and a little tiny doll at the end of my stocking."
My radio disappeared the next day -- guess a neighborhood kid took it -- and I was broken-hearted. We played Life for years.  I don't know why Uncle Wayne and Sonny Wallace gave me Christmas gifts -- I don't remember them being around for Christmas.  I remember the rag doll from Steve -- I think it came from the Ben Franklin store, our main place to shop since there was no Wal-Mart in those days. I still have the monkey, although one hand is missing.  He has a banana in the other hand, and it fits in his open mouth.  My brothers loved to play with it.  I loved "Little Women" and all the Alcott books -- I'm sure I was thrilled with that gift.  The white autograph hound was great until Steve wrote BS under his tail.  I then wrote "Brother Steve" with those letters, but never did like it much after that.  Mike teased me about that for many years.
I don't think that looks like the Christmas list of a 12 year old girl today, but I loved dolls and books at that age and it was a wonderful Christmas for me. Never did find out what happened to that little radio that I loved most of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

These remembrances are meant to be a reminder of "The most wonderful time of the year." Please feel free to add your version if you were there!