Friday, December 16, 2011

First Christmas away from home. 1975

I had never missed a Christmas at home in Red House until I married my soldier.  Somehow the Army didn't seem to care that I wanted to go back home to WV for Christmas, and that year my new husband could not leave Fort Bragg.  I was feeling a little sad about that -- and told Sam that it just didn't seem much like Christmas without a new doll -- and there would be no new presents from Santa under the tree on Christmas morning.  I hadn't had a doll for Christmas in years -- don't know why I thought about that. But there were always lots of new presents under the tree at Red House when we got up -- they just magically appeared overnight -- LOTS of presents because there was always a house full of kids.  Our first tree was very simply decorated, and it looked a little sparse underneath it.  I don't remember what we did on Christmas Eve -- but I know there were no donuts and no relatives. Pathetic.  I woke up the next morning without the sound of "Sleigh Ride" and no one but Sam to race to the tree.(He was an only child, so he didn't know about the Lewis traditions -- no racing that morning.)  But when I walked in, expecting to see only the gifts that I had wrapped, I stopped in my tracks.  There , under the tree, were 2 dolls -- Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy!! Santa knew where I lived after all and he surprised me with the best present ever!! I don't remember anything else about that Christmas, but I kept the dolls until they fell apart.  They were another reminder that I had the BEST, most thoughtful husband in the world.  We had many more Christmases away from family -- we learned to make our own donuts and friends filled the house on Christmas Eve.  But I will always remember that special gift of love -- not only did Santa know where I was, but my new husband knew my heart and did his best to make it a special Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

These remembrances are meant to be a reminder of "The most wonderful time of the year." Please feel free to add your version if you were there!