Friday, December 16, 2011

Guest blogger (Jeff)-- the REAL story

Every Christmas Eve that I can remember in Red House, included a house full of relatives. One particular year, I'm guessing circa 1963, everything seemed to be going along as usual. As I look back, I still can't understand how it got crazy, when the previous year and the year following, were uneventful. I had already opened my present from Aunt Ina ( socks again ) and Mother's drop doughnuts were making the rounds. At some point in the evening, Uncle Cline had excused himself to drive over and visit a few other nearby relatives, as he always did. What unfortunate luck he always had, because he always missed the quick visit from Santa, every single time. Yes, Santa would pop in for a minute to make sure  our wish list was certain. Then he'd have a few doughnuts then wave good-bye and say, "I'll be back in a few hours, make sure you're all in bed." We would all respond "We will, bye Santa !" , then wave until he was out of sight...me, my brother Johnny, cousins Leslie, Robin and Hunky. Uncle Bert's girls were staying at Grandan's house during the holidays, a short walk through the snow from my house. Earlier years included Ann, Steve, cousins Greg & Mike in all the excitement. It just didn't get much better than that...but not this time. Not this time.
    No sooner than Santa's words had left his lips, my Uncle Bert, ( who was incredibly gifted at stirring emotions in small children ) repeated -" Yes, make sure you're all in bed."  Somehow, Uncle Bert had manufactured an urgency in us like we had never known before. We were all suddenly aware that time was of the essence. It was dark outside, Santa was on the move, and we weren't even in our pj's yet! I was in a panic. It was probably the only time I ever outran my brother up the stairs to dive into bed. I can remember how I sort of felt sorry for the Frazier girls, crying while struggling to put on winter coats and squeeze their feet quickly into 4 buckle artics, still having make it to Grandan's house, there was no way they'd make it in time, I thought. But a little more secure, knowing that at least I would be in bed when Santa returned.
   The five of us serious believers were eventually calmed, but  I have to believe the folks were torn...put an end to great entertainment or straight jacket & hyperventilation. Knowing the Fraziers as I do, it was a tough choice.

Wishing a Merry Christmas and a  Magical Christmas Eve to all my family and cousins.
Jeff

1 comment:

  1. It was just as I remember it Jeff. Seems to me the panic started on the stairs with Hunky and quickly spread down the stairs and in one moment it was full scale pandemonium .
    Still one of my favorite Christmas memories.

    ReplyDelete

These remembrances are meant to be a reminder of "The most wonderful time of the year." Please feel free to add your version if you were there!