Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Crazy gift exchanges - 1990's

      As the Lewis family grew -- 10 grandchildren by 1989 -- buying gifts for all the nieces and nephews and siblings and spouses was getting a little out of hand.  So while we were all home for Christmas, we decided to draw names for the next year's gift exchange.  But this would NOT be your regular gift exchange.  Franklin Graham's "Operation Christmas Child" shoebox project was in the news, so that gave us an idea. One of us had heard a Jeff Foxworthy story about his aunt giving free hotel shampoo and shower caps for Christmas. So we decided to gather all the free things we could get and put them in a shoebox for the gift exchange.  It was 1995, the year we moved to Hudson, and I had a vist from the "Welcome Wagon" so I got some good free stuff for my box. I also went to several events with free samples, so I had a pretty full box to give. I remember that Johnny, the paramedic, had band-aids and medical supplies in the box he gave, and Jeff, a PE teacher, had water bottles, etc.  Mother had filled her box with lots of hotel freebies -- shampoo and lotions and shower caps. I remember that TJ was in college that year, and she said the only free thing she could get was condoms.  Since she had my mother's name, I told her she's better be looking for something else, because that would not be a good gift for my mom! When we finally exchanged gifts, there was lots of laughter, as usual. It was amazing to see what we had managed to collect during the year.
       The next year we drew names again, but decided that everyone would have to MAKE the gift they gave. Since I am not talented in the arts and crafts department, I'm sure my person got a feeble gift. But I got a wonderful cross stitched pillow from my sister-in-law, Debbie. The most memorable gift, though, was from my brother Steve.  He got a huge bucket -- the kind you get in the automotive or paint department -- and wrote on the sides with a magic marker about 100 things it could be used for. The "Bureen Brother  Bucket" was wrapped with duct tape and could be used for "Muddy boots, sassafras roots, bait for fishing and apples for teachers, washing your car or dog or putting out fires.  Carrying expired animal to a place of eternal rest . Also carrying fish guts to a place a cat can eat them."  The list went on and on and it was about the funniest gift I ever saw.  Johnny says the duct tape is long gone, but he still uses the bucket all the time.
      I think that was the last Christmas before Mother died, and the last time we drew names.  I remember sitting around the table playing "Balderdash" and laughing until we could hardly breathe.
I've had a lot of fun in my life, but nothing compared to Christmas at Red House with a house full of family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

These remembrances are meant to be a reminder of "The most wonderful time of the year." Please feel free to add your version if you were there!